Wildacres Spring 2022 Retreat
April 25 - 28, 2022
Wildacres 2022 was a smashing success with 71 members attending.
Dr. David Goldfield was the speaker discussing Will Our Democracy Survive? Lessons from the American Past. Links to his presentation are below.
We were entertained by Sheila Kay Adams with The Singers, Their Songs and the Stories. Link to her performance is below.
- E.J. Dionne Jr., Our Divided Political Heart: The Battle for the American Idea in an Age of Discontent (Bloomsbury, 2013)
- Noah Feldman, The Broken Constitution: Lincoln, Slavery, and the Refounding of America (Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2021)
- David Goldfield, The Gifted Generation: When Government Was Good (Bloomsbury, 2017).
- Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt, How Democracies Die (Crown, 2018).
- Barbara F. Walter, How Civil Wars Start: And How to Stop Them (Crown, 2022).
- Nick Corasaniti, “Voting Rights and the Battle Over Elections: What to Know”, NYT Jan. 4, 2022.
- Sue Halpern, “Anti-Democratic,” The New Yorker, June 14, 2021: 13-14.
- Steve Lohr, “Millions Have Lost a Step into the Middle Class,” NYT, Jan. 14, 2022.
- Louis Menand, “Legitimation Crisis,” The New Yorker, Aug. 16, 2021: 70-73.
- Claire Bond Potter, “The Shadow of Ronald Reagan Is Costing Us Dearly,” NYT, Nov. 18, 2021.
- The Parent Trap, How School Fights, From Evolution to Anti-Racism, Pits Parents Against the State. By Jill Lepore in the March 21, 2022, The New Yorker at page 16.
- Where Does American Democracy Go From Here? A panel of six experts moderated by Charles Homans in the March 20, 2022, The NewYork Times Magazine at page 28.
- The War on Free Speech, Censorship’s Global Rise. By Jacob Mchangama in the March/April 2022 Foreign Affairs at page 117.
Senior Scholars Wildacres Retreat
Relaxing days of learning, reflection, fellowship, laughter, entertainment, solitude, sharing and hiking at this beautiful 1,400 acre wilderness retreat near the Blue Ridge Parkway in the spectacular mountains of western North Carolina.
Organized by: Co-chairs: Jim Gronquist and Jeanne Smith
2022 Cost for members includes lodging, meals and social hour: Double Room: $260/person; Single Room: $375/person