Love & Justice: How Maggie and Mittie Made Marvin a Model with Gene Stowe
February 2, 2024 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am EST
TOPIC: Love & Justice: How Maggie and Mittie Made Marvin a Model
SPEAKER: Gene Stowe, Author
Two antebellum white spinster sisters in Marvin, NC, raised a Black man and then his daughter as their own beginning in Reconstruction.
The women left them their 800 acre homeplace, a will upheld against all odds by two White juries in Monroe in the 1920’s. The personal relationships and economic empowerment left Marvin untouched by Jim Crow to this day.
- Graduated from Monroe High School 1972
- UNC (religion) 1975
- Lutheran Theological Seminary (MTS) 1983
- Reporter for the Charlotte Observer 1981-1993
- Teacher, head of writing and religion program for Trinity Schools Inc. in South Bend, IN 1993-2012
- Freelance writer 2013 to present