Tuesday, February 12th @ 10 AM
Hinduism :: The Basics
we meet in the lower parking lot @ 10 AM
The word 'Hindu' is derived from the river 'Sindhu' bordering the ancient Sindhu Valley of India. A long time ago, Muslims from Afghanistan, Baluchistan, and Persia could not pronounce the letter 'S' and pronounced it as a 'H.' Therefore they called the Aryan inhabitants of the Sindhu Valley 'Hindus."
The original religion of India was known as 'Sanatan' which means eternal. God is the supreme eternal and every living being (humans, animals, birds, plants, etc.) is a limited part of the supreme eternal (God).
Tenets of Hinduism
- There is only one original God that manifests in various forms.
- Every individual is an immoral soul held in the bondage of mortal matter.i.e. body
- A Soul goes through a cycle of life and death until it reaches self realization through The Path of Knowledge, righteous action, devotion or ascetic path of mediation.
- Karma: Every action has a consequence in shaping this and future lives.
- Dharma: An insistence on focusing on one's own duties rather than rights.
- Love thy mother, father, teachers & guests at home.
- Peacefullness, Self Control, Austirity, Purity, Tolerance, Honesty, Knowledge, Wisdom and Religiousness - These are the natural qualities of the Pure Soul.
(Bhagvad Gita - Chapter 18:43)
Leaving from the Providence United Methodist Church
We meet beside the gazebo in the parking lot.
When leaving from the Queens University Sports Complex
We meet in the parking lot.
Directions and map
Organized and Coordinated by John Ferguson
Lunch, a "Dutch Treat" will be at a nearby restaurant.